What gift do you get for the person who has everything? One option you might consider is making a donation in their name this holiday season. Or, perhaps you’re just in the giving spirit and looking for a good cause. Whatever your case, we’ve rounded up some of the most extraordinary Los Angeles-based animal nonprofits that are making a difference in our city.
Many animal nonprofits depend on donations to keep their operations afloat. Giving money to these programs can make a world of difference for the employees and animals they serve. If you’re stumped on what to get for the animal lover in your life, or have some extra cash you’d like to see go towards a good cause, consider donating to one of these organizations.
- What they do: PAWS/LA provides resources for owners experiencing life-threatening illnesses. Specifically, PAWS works closely with people affected by HIV/AIDS.
- Why we love them: Their unique mission allows loving pet owners to keep their companions through some of life’s toughest tribulations. Thus, we love all the good they do for those affected by chronic illnesses.
- How can you help: Donate cash, get your company to give, or set up a fundraising campaign! Or, keep an eye on their events page to attend one of their events.
- What they do: Mutt Scouts is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit rescue specializing in helping homeless, abused, and abandoned dogs.
- Why we love them: They are committed to providing socialization, training, and medical care for each of their rescues.
- How you can help: Donations to Mutt Scouts go directly to medical care, food, and supplies for rescued dogs. You can also contribute by purchasing something from their Amazon Wishlist.
Operation Blankets of Love
- What they do: OBOL is on a mission to provide shelters and rescues with supplies they often desperately need, including blankets, dog and cat food, bedding, and towels. And with over 30 drop-off locations in Southern California alone (including Fitdog!) OBOL makes it easy to give back to animals with simple donation items.
- Why we love them: OBOL is a longtime friend of Fitdog. Their mission is super important because shelters are always in need of supplies. Additionally, the more comfortable shelter animals appear, the more adoptable they tend to be!
- How you can help: Drop off gently used items at Fitdog! In addition, OBOL also accepts volunteer applications and monetary donations.
Our Fitdog staff with Operations Blankets of Love at our annual Smooches 4 Pooches event
- What they do: NKLA is an initiative of Best Friends Animal Society to turn Los Angeles into a no-kill city. They take animals from shelters and rescue organizations to give them more visibility and a higher chance of adoption. NKLA’s Pet Adoption Center has over 100 dogs and cats available for adoption.
- Why we love them: NKLA (No Kill Los Angeles) has a simple mission: end animal euthanization everywhere by 2025. Obviously, we are behind their mission all the way!
- How you can help: Volunteer your time, foster an animal, make a donation, or even adopt a new fur baby.
The Little Red Dog Foundation
- What they do: LRDF rescues dogs (and cats!) from high-kill shelters and finds them loving, forever homes.
- Why we love them: They are committed to finding homes for their rescues right here in Southern California.
- How you can help: Donate money, volunteer your time, or consider fostering or adopting a rescued animal!
- What they do: Comfy Carepacks provide pet supplies to people with pets experiencing homelessness. By donating a kit including food, bowls, flea/tick spray, and more, you can provide a vital resource for people and their pets who have fallen on hard times.
- Why we love them: Los Angeles has a large unhoused population. Despite those who believe unhoused people shouldn’t have pets, we know that pets help us feel safe and loved in the most difficult times, and we admire this organization for helping some of our most vulnerable citizens.
- How you can help: Donate items or money to go towards a Comfy Carepack!
Originally posted 7-10-2019. Updated 12-01-2022.