At Fitdog, we’re really lucky to be able to focus on enriching dog’s lives through fun activities. But the truth is, we couldn’t do what we do without the efforts of those working tirelessly for LA’s animal community. From rescue organizations to item dispersal programs, find out why we love these 5 LA animal nonprofits and how they’re making a big impact in our city.
- What they do: PAWS/LA provides resources for owners experiencing life-threatening illnesses. Specifically, PAWS works closely with people affected by HIV/AIDS.
- Why we love them: Their unique mission allows loving pet owners to keep their companions through some of life’s toughest tribulations. Thus, we love all the good they do for those affected by chronic illnesses.
- How can you help: Donate cash, get your company to give, or set up a fundraising campaign! Or, keep an eye on their events page to attend one of their events.
Adopt & Shop
- What they do: Adopt & Shop offers pet products, grooming, daycare, and pet adoptions. Then, all of their sales go back towards programs for the animals.
- Why we love them: From their services including a low-cost microchip clinic to their unique business model, we love Adopt & Shop’s mission to help save LA’s animals!
- How you can help: Adopt & Shop is a great place to shop for pet products or volunteer with animals!
Operation Blankets of Love
- What they do: OBOL is on a mission to provide shelters and rescues with supplies they often desperately need, including blankets, dog and cat food, bedding, and towels. And with over 30 drop-off locations in Southern California alone (including Fitdog!) OBOL makes it easy to give back to animals with simple donation items.
- Why we love them: OBOL is a longtime friend of Fitdog. Their mission is super important because shelters are always in need of supplies. Additionally, the more comfortable shelter animals appear, the more adoptable they tend to be!
- How you can help: Drop off gently used items at Fitdog! In addition, OBOL also accepts volunteer applications and monetary donations.
Our Fitdog staff with Operations Blankets of Love at our annual Smooches 4 Pooches event
- What they do: NKLA is an initiative of Best Friends Animal Society to turn Los Angeles into a no-kill city. They take animals from shelters and rescue organizations to give them more visibility and a higher chance at adoption. NKLA’s Pet Adoption Center has over 100 dogs and cats available for adoption.
- Why we love them: NKLA (No Kill Los Angeles) has a simple mission: end animal euthanization everywhere by 2025. Obviously, we are behind their mission all the way!
- How you can help: Volunteer your time, foster an animal, make a donation, or even adopt a new fur baby.
- What they do: Comfy Carepacks provide pet supplies to people with pets experiencing homelessness. By donating a kit including food, bowls, flea and tick spray and more, they are a vital resource for people and their pets who have fallen on hard times.
- Why we love them: As many of you may know, LA has a growing homeless population. Despite those who believe homeless people shouldn’t have pets, we know that pets help us feel safe and loved in the most difficult times. And we admire the on-the-ground act of diplomacy this organization has come up with to help our homeless community.
- How you can help: Donate items or money to go towards a Comfy Carepack!
What are your favorite LA animal nonprofits and how do they make a difference? Leave us a comment!