Posted on March 20, 2020 at 4:01PM:
In light of the recent events detailed below, we have decided to close Fitdog Club located at 1712 21st Street, Santa Monica, CA until further notice. We will re-assess the situation every week and hopefully re-open within the next 30 to 60 days depending on how the COVID-19 crisis unfolds.
In order to make sure dogs have access to some form of enrichment and exercise during the COVID-19 crisis, we decided to keep sports classes going on a limited basis.
- Canyon Hikes will be available Monday thru Friday
- Beach Excursions will be available on Tuesday & Thursdays
- All other classes have been cancelled until further notice.
Our operational hours are now 7am to 3pm Monday thru Friday.
Stay home & stay safe!! Look for more updates.
Posted on March 19, 2020 at 8:40PM:
Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered the entire state of California to stay at home. The order takes effect immediately and remains in place “until further notice.” Californians are not allowed to leave home except for essential purposes. They are allowed to purchase groceries, prescriptions and health care, as well as commute to jobs deemed essential.
Club Services will remain open on March 20th but will likely be closed until further notice. We will post an update tomorrow afternoon.
For our sports classes, we will still be taking dogs on hikes and to the beach on March 20th. Pack Etiquette and Scent Works classes are cancelled. Classes after March 20th may be suspended until further notice. We will post an update tomorrow afternoon.
Posted on March 19, 2020 at 7:41PM:
Mayor Eric Garcetti today issued a “Safer at Home” emergency order, calling on residents of the City of Los Angeles to stay in their residences and limit all activities outside of their homes beyond what is absolutely necessary for essential tasks. The order is in effect until March 31st 2020.
What does it mean for Fitdog?
We are still processing this information and its impact on our business.
Our Club is located in the City of Santa Monica, so the order does not immediately effect our daycare, boarding and grooming operations. However, we expect Santa Monica to follow suit.
Our Sports services operate out of West LA. So we need to determine if the order applies to those services or not as dog hiking and training are not listed as either an essential or non essential service.
While we process this information, Fitdog will be open tomorrow, Friday, March 20th for all services including daycare, grooming and sports activities.
Our goal is to do what is best for our community and employees. We will make an announcement sometime tomorrow afternoon.
Posted on March 19, 2020 at 4:37PM
COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down! Fitdog is making every effort to stay open for you and your dogs during this unprecedented time. Check in here for the latest updates on services and promotions.
Hours & Service Updates
Effective Monday, March 23rd
- Lobby Hours: 8am to 7pm
- Taxi Service: Pick-ups: 8am to 9am / Drop offs: 5pm to 7pm
- Grooming Hours: 10am to 3pm (extended if busy)
Safety & Awareness
Dogs Can Still Socialize
Good news! According to the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), “Infectious disease experts and multiple international and domestic human and animal health organizations agree there is no evidence at this point to indicate that pets can spread COVID-19 to other animals, including people.” More good news, is that fur is a very inefficient surface to transmit disease. That means dogs can maintain their regular schedules and safely play with each other.
However, we are asking that if you or a family member is sick, please stay home and keep your pets at home too!
Keeping Our Social Distance
We appreciate that people want to be good citizens and do their part to flatten the curve. Now you don’t even have to get out of your car or leave your house if you don’t want to.
- Curbside check-in / check-out when you call ahead
- Free taxi service for Monthly Unlimited Members within a 3-mile radius
- 50% off taxi service for all members within a 5-mile radius
Maintaining Best Practices
We are keeping a close eye on the evolving situation and updating our procedures and services as needed. We’ve taken the following actions to increase safety:
- Increasing cleaning and disinfecting protocols for frequently touched areas such as handles, knobs, and computer keyboards.
- Fitdog uses a chemical free, eco-friendly alkaline cleaning system. That means we are not at risk of running out of cleaning solutions. So despite shortages, we are OK!
- Advocating for our team members to prioritize their health by providing sick pay and encouraging sick employees to stay home.
Many of you have expressed your support and gratitude for us staying open. If you want to help Fitdog during this difficult time, there are a number of things you can do (and your dog will thank you for it!):
- Buy a package – If you buy a package through March 31st (whether or not you bring your dog in during that same time), you’ll get a Fitdog swag basket plus lots of gratitude from everyone who still needs our services and our employees. Remember that all packages are good for a year (except for the monthly unlimited).
- Shop our retail – We carry Orijen and Acana dry food, Merrick and Weruva wet food, lots of amazing, US-made, all-natural treats, joint supplements, raincoats, toys and more.
- Book a groom – Our amazing groomers, Ivan & Michael, are here 5 days a week.
- Take advantage of our taxi deals – No lobby or people. Just us taking your dog out to have some fun.
- Bring your dog to daycare – If you bring your dog to daycare from now until April 15th, you will automatically be entered to win an amazing gift basket including a 1-hour photo session with our in-house photographer, Meghan.
- Send your dog on a hike – Club Members get free hiking assessments through April 15th. Create a sports account.
Keeping it FUN
In this era of physical distancing, we know it’s more important than ever to stay connected to our community. So we’re going to spread some joy the best way we know how: by sharing the joyous moments that your dogs bring us!
We will continue to fill your Instagram and Facebook feeds with uplifting moments courtesy of your dogs! Tune into @fitdogclubs and @fitdogsports for some special content in the coming weeks, including:
- Live classes!
- Interactive content!
- Awesome giveaways!
Additionally, all of our Sports Classes are still in full swing! Since owners do not attend classes, and all classes include pickup and drop-off, owners can have their dogs participate while still maintaining distance at this time. See all our upcoming classes here.
We appreciate your continued support and are working diligently to stay open and safe for our Fitdog community!
Andrea & the Fitdog Team