With their owners out and about on fun summer vacations and doing hot-weather activities, it’s easy for pups to get bored at home. Dogs are extremely resourceful when it comes to alleviating their own boredom — they’ll start digging tunnels, tearing up the couch, or “entertaining” neighbors by barking for hours. Your pooch may have destroyed something important while you weren’t around, so we’ve come up with 5 ways of fixing the problem this summer!
- Exercise – A tired dog is a happy dog. It’s important to keep your pup physically active. Before you go to work for the day, take your pooch for a run, play a quick game of fetch, or spend a few minutes training him. Studies have shown that dogs that don’t get exercise and play time exhibit more behavioral issues. Keep that pup content with lots of activity!
- Be Creative With Toys – Like people, dogs can get bored with the same old thing. Switch it up by only giving your pup access to a few toys at a time, rotating them every day or so. Buy a treat-dispensing toy like a KONG or Planet Dog Snoop and your pooch could be mentally entertained for a long while.
- Build a Play Area – If your dog loves to dig up your beautiful petunias, build her a digging box in your back yard. It’s like a sandbox, but you can bury toys in it for your pup to find.
- Get Help from Friends and Family – If your doggy is home alone for long periods of time, ask a friend or family member to walk them every so often. You could also give your dog some social time by setting up a play date with a local dog in your neighborhood!
- Send your Pup to Doggy Daycare – If none of the above options sound like a good fit, send your pup to Fitdog for a day of play! Your dog will love our 3,000 square foot doggy playground. Not only will they get to interact with other dogs, they’ll get an afternoon walk and lots of love from our staff!
With these boredom busters, your pup’s destructive or idle behavior will be solved in no time! Click here for more information about Fitdog doggy daycare and at-home walking services.