Chewing is a natural stress-busting activity for dogs. Bored dogs tend to chew on anything and everything they can reach. Chew toys are, instead, a useful way to keep dogs busy, divert them into some quiet time or encourage them to stay on their bed or in a crate. To keep your shoes, furniture, and more intact, it is key to find toys specifically designed to withstand your canine.
- Bully Sticks can be found as all-natural, odor-free chews. Most are also 100% digestible and made from American born and raised cattle (USDA certified).
- A Kong toy with a fillable hole is perfect for dogs. Kong-type toys can be filled with broken-up treats or a mixture of broken-up treats and peanut butter can keep a puppy or dog busy for hours!
- Himalayan Dog chews are great sources of calcium and protein. They are all natural chews made of a very hard cheese from yak and cow milk. They are long lasting and contain no preservatives. However, it is important that when your dog is eating these, you are watching them in order to make sure they don’t bite off more than they can chew.
- A thick rope toy is especially soothing to a teething pup when it is placed in water and then frozen. This once again gives the gums a chance to cool and calm down. However, make sure the toy is durable and your dog isn’t able to pull off and accidently swallow any of its fibers.
- Elk Antlers leave no greasy or stinky mess left behind. They are sources of vitamins and minerals, like calcium, zinc, manganese and potassium. These are also great for dental health and keeping tartar knocked down on teeth.
Not all toys are created equally! There are several items to make sure toys don’t include. When selecting a chew toy for your dog, try to avoid the following items:
- Toys with Items with small or sharp metal parts
- Cooked real bones of any kind
- Sheets of plastic film
- Thin, squeaky-type rubber pet toys
- Anything of yours or something that looks like your items. Your dog can’t tell the difference between an old toy or slipper you gave him and your fancy new shoes.
No matter what toy you select, it’s important to monitor while playing. Don’t forget to rotate your pup’s toys to keep things fresh and prevent boredom. If you’re using chew toys as a boredom buster, don’t forget you can sign up your Fitdog for our sport activities, puzzle play time or just a day at Fitdog with their furry best friends!
Photo Credit: Love That Pet